It’s Nigel in the hot seat for Páraic this week with the lowdown on… Spike Jonze, Meryl Streep, Sundance 2014, Lenny Abrahamson’s Frank and JDIFF 2014.
The Oscars love Spike Jonze
Yesterday saw the announcement of the nominees for the 86th Academy Awards, or “Oscars” as the minions call them. Read the full list here and tune in at 1am on March 3rd to watch proceedings live on Sky Movies, or see the edited highlights that evening on the wonderful state broadcaster RTÉ.
Away from the big snubs for Tom Hanks, Emma Thompson and Inside Llewyn Davis, you’ll also have noted a lot of love for Spike Jonze’s Her (pictured above) which arrives on Irish shores on February 14th. But the bigger (future table quiz!) question is… what THREE films nominated at the 2013 Oscars saw involvement from Spike Jonze?
- Well, answer number one if of course Her, which got five nominations including Best Picture and Best Screenplay (no director nod though).
- The second is a film that Páraic and I got to see earlier this week which features a fantastic acting cameo from Jonze – The Wolf of Wall Street. It was completely unexpected to see him and yet he felt perfect for the role as the penny stockbroker. Vulture has the lowdown on how the cameo came about.
- And lastly, and hold on to your seats for this one. Jackass Presents… Bad Grandpa. The film was criminally overlooked by most highbrow film critics which is a shame as it was actually great old-fashioned fun and much more meaningful than the similarly styled, but mean-spirited Borat. Jonze acted as co-writer and producer on Bad Grandpa and had a role as Gloria which ultimately ended up on the cutting room floor. The film received a nod for Best make-up.
Latest posts by Nigel (see all)
- Pod 83: So, who’s gonna win an Oscar? (w/ guest Eithne Shortall) - February 20, 2019
- Pod 82: Green Book v Beale Street v Driving Miss Daisy (kinda) - January 30, 2019
- Best of 2018: Friends of Spooool - December 21, 2018
- Pod 81: THE BEST FILMS OF 2018 - December 19, 2018